Aubergine and Benna Irkotta Bake
- 3 large aubergines
- 1 tub Benna fresh irkotta
- Olive oil
- 1 finely chopped onion
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely sliced
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1kg good-quality fresh ripe tomatoes
- sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large handful fresh basil
- Remove the stalks from the aubergines, slice them up into 1cm thick slices, and put to one side. Heat a griddle pan until piping hot. Meanwhile, drizzle a pan with olive oil on a medium heat. Add the onion, garlic and dried oregano and cook for 10 minutes, until the onion is soft and the garlic is lightly coloured. Cut the tomatoes into quarters and add to the onion, garlic and oregano. Give the mixture a good stir, then put a lid on the pan and simmer slowly for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, grill the aubergines on both sides until lightly charred. As each batch of aubergines is nicely grilled, put them aside onto a tray and carry on grilling the rest, until all aubergine slices are grilled. When the tomato sauce is reduced, season it carefully with salt, pepper and add the basil.
- To start layering the aubergine bake, put in a small layer of tomato sauce, then some Benna Irkotta, followed by a single layer of aubergines. Repeat these layers until you’ve used up all the ingredients, finishing with a little tomato sauce, irkotta, basil and olive oil.
- Place the dish in the oven and bake at 180°C for half an hour.
- To garnish finish off with some fresh Benna Irkotta and basil leaves. Eat straight away or serve cold.
Subscribe to our newsletter for the latest news & updates!